Fresh herbs, roasted peanuts and raw, colorful vegetables – these Vietnamese summer rolls definitely have the crunch factor. Immerse yourself in the tangy vinaigrette or satay sauce for a wonderful meatless meal. Use fresh herbs. Mint, cilantro, thai basil or basil add amazing fresh flavor to the rolls.
INGREDIENTS of Spring Rolls
- 2 ounces rice vermicelli
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup torn butter lettuce
- 1 cup very thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 Persian (mini) cucumbers or 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced or sliced into strips with a julienne peeler
- 2 medium jalapeños, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh mint
- 8 sheets rice paper
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
How To Make Vegetarian summer rolls
- Bring a pan of water to a boil and cook the noodles.
- Drain them, rinse them under cold water and put them back in the pan. Remove from the heat and mix the noodles with the sesame oil and salt and set aside.
- Fill a shallow pan with an inch of water. Fold a lint-free cloth in half and place it next to the pan. your prepared toppings are close at hand Mix the green onion, cilantro and mint in a small bowl and mix.
- Place a rice paper in the water and let stand for about 20 seconds, give or take. You will learn how to feel here – wait until the sheet is flexible but not super flexible. Carefully lay it flat on the towel.
- Leave about 1 inch of rice paper open around the edges, cover the bottom third of the paper with a few pieces of butter lettuce, followed by a small handful of rice noodles, cabbage and a few strips of carrot, cucumber and jalapeño pepper.
- Sprinkle generously with the herb mixture. Fold the bottom edge up over the fillings, rolling upward until the filling is compact.
- Fold up the short sides as you would a burrito. Finally, roll it up. Repeat with the other ingredients.
To make sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, rice vinegar, tamari, honey, sesame oil, and garlic. Whisk in 2 to 3 tablespoons water, as needed to make a super creamy but dip-able sauce.
- Serve the spring rolls with peanut sauce on the side. You can serve them whole, or sliced in half on the diagonal with a sharp chef’s knife.