This particular double layered barfi was my favorite. A simple candy that has a burfi layer with powdered milk underneath and a chocolate layer on top. So yum.
Ingredients of Chocolate Burfi
- 700 grams khoya / mawa (grated)
- 1 cup (225 grams) of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
Let’s start with mawa
- first, in a large kadai take 700 grams of khoya. Grate or crumble the khoya for even cooking.
- add 1 cup ((225 grams)) of sugar and start mixing.
- keeping the heat low, stir continuously until the khova and sugar melt.
- crush the khova making sure there are no lumps.
- cook until mixture thickens and begins to separate from pan. takes about 10 minutes.
- divide the mixture into 2 equal parts and transfer 1 half of the mixture to the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. press and level up evenly.
- I used the tray size: 6 inches x 3 inches.
to the remaining half of the mixture, add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and mix well.
continue to cook until well combined.
- transfer the mixture to the burfi layer forming a two-tiered layer.
press and level up evenly.
- now stand for 30 minutes or until the burfi sets.
- finally, cut into pieces and enjoy a chocolate burfi.
Be careful when you cook
- If you are using frozen mawa, be sure to bring it back to room temperature before using.
- you can also add a teaspoon of ghee to make the burfi rich and tasty.
- in addition, cook over low heat to avoid scorching.
- Finally, the chocolate burfi recipe tastes good when made with good quality cocoa powder.