Alfalfa Sprouts Open Sandwich: The Arabs call alfalfa sprouts ‘the father of all foods’! Sprouts are fortified with good amounts of nutrients making it a super healthy food.
This Alfalfa Sprouts Open Sandwich recipe is loaded with peppers, olives, tomato and cheese, all of which make it an extremely tasty meal as well. The best part is that being an open sandwich, we can cut down on a slice of bread too!
You can also try other recipes using alfalfa sprouts like Mango and Burrata Cheese Crostini or Antioxidant, Protein Rich Healthy Lunch Salad. Enjoy how to make Alfalfa Sprouts Open Sandwich recipe with detailed step by step photos and video.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 4 open sandwiches
For The Alfalfa Sprouts Open Sandwich
6 tbsp alfalfa sprouts
1 whole wheat footlong bread
1 medium yellow capsicum
1 medium red capsicum
1 medium green capsicum
2 1/4 tsp olive oil
salt and to taste
12 tomato slices
2 tbsp deseeded and sliced black olives
1 tsp dried oregano
salt to taste
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch)
2 tbsp grated mozzarella cheese
To Be Mixed Into A Marinade
1 1/2 tbsp vinegar
1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp powdered sugar
salt to taste
- To make the Alfalfa Sprouts Open Sandwich, pierce the yellow capsicum with a fork, brush it using ¼ tsp of olive oil evenly over it and roast it over an open flame till it turns black from all the sides.
- Cool, wash it in cold water and remove the skin, stem and seeds and discard them. Cut the capsicum into thin slices and keep aside.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for red and green capsicum.
- Combine the roasted green, yellow and red capsicum slices, remaining 1½ tsp of olive oil, salt and a little pepper powder in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the capsicum mixture into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Cut the footlong bread into 2 pieces from the centre and then cut each piece into 2 halves horizontally. You will get 4 bread halves of 6” each in all.
- Place all the 4 bread halves on a flat, dry surface and core the inner side of each halve so as to form a slight depression.
- Spread ¼th of the marinade evenly on each bread halve.
- Place a portion of the capsicum mixture in the depression of each bread halve and arrange 3 tomato slices over it.
- Place 1½ tbsp of alfa-alfa sprouts and ½ tbsp of black olives evenly on each bread halve.
- Sprinkle ¼ tsp of oregano, a little salt and ¼ tsp of pepper powder on each bread halve.
- Top each bread halve with ½ tbsp of cheese and bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve the Alfalfa Sprouts Open Sandwich immediately.
|Value per open sandwiche||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||1216.2 mcg||25%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.7 mg||70%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.2 mg||18%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||1.1 mg||9%|
|Vitamin C||171.4 mg||428%|
|Vitamin E||0.3 mg||2%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||81.4 mcg||41%|