Pomegranate Potato Salad Recipe – Ever since I saw this aloo anardana salad recipe in Jigg Kalra’s cookbook “Prashad – Cooking with Indian Masters”, I wanted to try it. finally gave it a try and it became the most loved and sought after potato salad around the house.
This salad is composed of two ingredients: Aloo – potatoes and Anardana – pomegranate… Spicy with tangy Indian spices.
The original recipe also added Chana dal (gram of Bengal), but I skipped adding these lentils. This salad has a tangy taste due to the lemon juice and sweet taste due to the pomegranate arils.
So instead of salad I think this recipe can also be called Aloo anardana chaat. it is tangy, sweet and tangy except spicy. Some qualities found in a chaat. And the salad tasted so much like chaat.
If you like potatoes and pomegranate, try this pomegranate potato salad. You can also serve it as a side dish with dal rice or veg pulao or veg biryani or roti-sabzi combo.
You just need basic vegetables like onion and tomatoes with some Indian spice powders like Chaat masala and cumin powder. this salad can be served hot or cold. They also make excellent entrees.
Main ingredients for Aloo Anardana salad
▢ 2 medium sized potatoes (aloo) – boiled and diced
▢ ½ cup of pomegranate arils
▢ 1 small onion – finely chopped
▢ 1 medium sized tomato – finely chopped
▢ 1 tablespoon of chopped mint leaves
▢ a few mint leaves for garnish
For the dressing
▢ ¼ teaspoon red pepper powder – optional
▢ 1 teaspoon of chaat masala powder
▢ 1 teaspoon of roasted cumin powder
▢ 2 tablespoon of lemon juice
▢ 1 or 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil or peanut oil
▢ black salt or pink salt or regular salt as needed
- Add the chopped mint leaves, diced potatoes, onion, pomegranate arils, tomatoes in a bowl and mix them gently.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Check the seasoning and add more spice powders if necessary.
- With the lemon juice and oil, mix all the spice powders.
- Pour the dressing into the bowl and mix gently.
- Serve the aloo anardana salad warm or chilled.
- Garnish with mint leaves when serving the salad.