A unique and tasty Indian street food recipe made with cups of potatoes, boiled chickpeas and sweet tamarind sauce. Maybe this is one of the healthy chaat recipes made without fried snacks. It is usually served as an evening snack, but can also be served as a full meal, as it is made up of aloo cups.
Aloo chana preparation:
▢ ½ cup of black chana / kala chana
▢ water for soaking
▢ ½ tsp of turmeric
▢ ½ teaspoon of salt
▢ 2 cups of water (for pressure cooking)
▢ 10 small potato
▢ ¼ cup cumin / jeera
▢ 1 cup of tamarind chutney
▢ 1 cup of water
▢ pinch of kala namak
▢ ½ onion (finely chopped)
▢ 2 tbsp sev
▢ chilli powder
- First, in a large bowl, soak ½ cup of black chana in enough water for 6 hours.
- Drain the water and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric, ½ teaspoon of salt and 2 cups of water.
- Place a steamer basket and put 10 small potatoes.
- Cover and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Aloo and chana is ready.
- Now prepare the jeera powder by taking ¼ cup of cumin in a large saucepan.
- Dry roast over low heat until the cumin turns blackish with a smoky aroma.
- Transfer to a mortar pestle and reduce to a fine powder. jeera powder is ready.
- Now take 1 cup of tamarind chutney and dilute with 1 cup of water.
- Mix well and the tamarind water is ready.
- To prepare aloo cup, take a boiled potato and remove the skin.
- Cut the potato and make a hole in the center. you can use leftover aloo to make aloo masala or a sandwich.
- To serve, place the aloo cups on a plate.
- Add a pinch of roasted cumin powder, and the kala namak.
- Also fill with boiled kala chana and pour tamarind water.
- Top with more chopped onions and sev.
- Finally, enjoy aloo handi chaat with a pinch of chili powder on top.