Punjabi Aloo Paratha is a very famous North Indian style stuffed flatbread. This so addicting and enticing paratha has a spicy potato garnish. It’s a breakfast dish, but you can have it for lunch or dinner.
Aloo paratha is a popular Indian flatbread for breakfast stuffed with spicy potatoes.
Preparation time 🕐 = 10 min
Cooking time 🕐 =25 min
Total time 🕐 = 35 min
Category ☶ = bread
Cuisine ♨ = Indian
Serves ☺ = 8 Parathas
Nutritional information ⊛ = 170 calories
Portion ⊚ = 1 paratha
For the Aloo Paratha paste:
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour (gehun ka attack)
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup water or water to knead the dough
For Aloo Paratha:
- A little extra wheat flour for rolling
- Ghee / butter / roasting oil
For the potato filling:
- 4 medium sized potatoes (aloo), peeled and boiled
- 1 teaspoon of ginger (adrak), crushed
- 1 tablespoon of green coriander leaves (hara dhania), chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped (pyaaj)
- 1 tbsp chopped green chilli (hari mirch)
- 1/2 teaspoon of carambola seeds (ajwain)
- 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya)
- 2 teaspoons of dried mango powder (amchour)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
Make the potato filling (Aloo):
- Add the potatoes to a bowl and coarsely mash them.
- Add the chopped onions, chopped green peppers, chopped cilantro leaves and all the spices.
- Mix well all the spices with the mashed potatoes.
- Divide the potato mixture into 6-8 evenly sized balls.
Make Aloo Paratha dough:
- Add wheat flour, oil, salt and mix well.
- Now add enough water and knead to get a soft and smooth dough.
- Apply a little oil to the paste.
- Cover the dough with a muslin and let stand 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 evenly sized balls and keep them aside.
Make Aloo Paratha:
- Spread a little flour on a work surface and roll out a ball of dough into a 4-inch diameter circle.
- Place the stuffing ball in the center of the dough circle.
- Bring all sides together in the center. Press lightly to seal the edges.
- Dip the ball in the dry flour.
- Using a little flour, roll out again into a 6 ″ diameter circle.
Roast Aloo Paratha in a pan:
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Place the rolled paratha on the pan and roast it on both sides.
- Apply some ghee / oil / butter on both sides. Roast until golden brown on both sides.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough and the filling to make more parathas.
- Serve the Punjabi Aloo Paratha hot with your favorite chutney, pickle, and raita.
Make Tandoori Aloo Paratha:
- Place the rolled aloo paratha in an ovenproof pan and grill for 2 minutes over high heat.
- Apply some ghee / oil.
- Flip and broil again for 2 minutes.
- Apply some ghee / oil. Repeat with the rest of the dough and the filling to make more parathas.
- Serve Hot Tandoori Aloo Paratha with your favorite chutney, pickle and raita.