This easy pancake recipe makes light and fluffy pancakes that are great for a weekend brunch.
Ingredients of American pancakes
- 135g/plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 130ml/4½fl oz milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter
Also Read: New York cheesecake
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and powdered sugar into a large bowl.
- In another bowl or jug, lightly whisk together the milk and egg, then stir in the melted butter.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and, using a fork, beat until a smooth dough is obtained.
- All the pieces will soon disappear with a little mixing. Let the dough rest for a few minutes.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add a knob of butter. When it is melted, add a ladle of batter.
- It will look very thick, but that’s how it should be. Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then cook until both sides are golden and the pancake is about 1 cm thick.
- Repeat until all the dough is used up.
- You can keep the pancakes warm in a low oven, but they taste better fresh out of the pan.
- Serve with real maple syrup and additional butter, if desired.