The humble Indian gooseberry, commonly known as amla, is considered as a superfood. It’s name (Amla) comes from a Sanskrit word “Amlaki” meaning “Nectar of life”. The fruit is very nourishing, but it tastes sour.
Ingredients of Usirikaya Pachadi
- 15 Amla
- 4 Green Chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- Oil , for tempering
- Salt , as per taste
How to make Usirikaya Pachadi
- Wash the amla in running water and place them in a pressure cooker.
- Add water and boil the amlas till soft or till the cooker release 2 whistles.
- Once cooled, remove the seeds from them.
- Add the boiled amla, salt, green chillies & a pinch of asafoetida in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Take some oil for tempering in a pan, add mustard seeds to till.
- Once they start to crackle, add the dry red chilies and fry for a minute.
- Switch off the flame.
- Add the tempering to the chutney.
- Serve hot.