Make these colorful and easy apple and coconut fudge bars (burfi or barfi) for a delicious treat. Soft, slightly chewy and utterly delicious, these moreish burfi are made with the goodness of juicy red apples and fresh coconut, flavored with cardamom and saffron, and topped with pistachios and almonds.
- 3 cup apple (peeled and shredded)
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut (I am using frozen coconut)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 tsp crushed cardamom
- 1 Tbsp sliced pistachios (for garnishing)
ALSO READ: Mirchi Bajji (Diwali Special)
- In a non-stick frying pan add coconut, apple, and sugar, cook over medium heat, until mixture start coming together and apples should be very tender. This should take about 10 min.
2. Add cardamom powder and walnut, mix it well cook stirring continually until mix should becomes consistency of soft dough, this should take about 3 minutes, turn of the heat.
3. Pour the mixture into greased plate while Burfi mixture is still hot spread it evenly about 3/4-inch-thick in a square shape. Press the mixture with spatula to make it firm. Sprinkle the pistachios and lightly press.
4. While Burfi is still warm cut them in about one inch square.
5. Allow the Burfi to cool for about two hours to dry and hold its shape. Now you can remove the burfi from the plate.
6. Burfi can be stored for 2 weeks in air tight container.