If you’re intimidated by making your own jam, try apple jam first. Apples cook down into jam easily, have a great flavor, and they’re easy to prepare. Select your favorite apples and decide if you’d like to make a pure apple jam or, try a variation on apple jam where you add ginger, honey, or cranberries. Once you’ve made your jam, store it in the fridge for immediate use or process it so you can keep it for up to one year.
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Cook Time: 1 hr 10 mins
Ingredients of Apple Jam
- 1 kg apples – cored and chopped
- 1 kg sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice or to taste
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon – powdered (optional)
Method of Apple Jam
- Place the apples in a steel or glass container, cover with water and keep overnight.
- Transfer to a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until tender.
- Pass through a sieve or mix and filter.
- Return to the stove and bring to the boil again and cook while stirring to avoid burns.
- When it is slightly thinner than the consistency of the jam, add the sugar, lemon juice and dalchini.
- Lower the heat and continue to stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- When the sugar is dissolved, bring to a boil and cook, stirring all the time (otherwise it will caramelize at the bottom and change flavor).
- When a drop placed on a cold surface sets, the stuffing is ready.
- Store in sterilized, airtight jars.