Avocado salad with a tangy lemon, onion and tomato vinaigrette. This avocado salad is a simple and delicious summer salad. The recipe is vegan and gluten free.
This avocado salad is my favorite salad and I make it quite often – sometimes as a side dish and sometimes as a main course with sourdough or toasted bread.
This avocado salad
Although there are many ways to prepare an avocado salad. I am sharing a recipe which is a vegan and gluten free version. It’s an avocado salad that I prepare several times.
- Flavor profile: the subtle sweetness, smoothness and smoothness of avocado contrast sharply with the crispness of onions, the spiciness of tomatoes and lemon. Herbs and spices impart a warm earthy flavor.
- Lemon Dressing: A small amount of lemon dressing is made just enough for the salad. Adding this lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic and olive oil to the dressing makes the salad very tasty. Some spices are also added in the dressing which gives slightly spicy and warm tones to the salad.
- Smoked Paprika: I have to mention here that adding smoked paprika in the dressing brings some smoke and heat to the salad. If you don’t have smoked paprika, you can easily substitute it with cayenne pepper or red chili powder.
- Quick & Easy: It’s a cinch to make this salad and takes 10-20 minutes.
- Ripe avocado: For most avocado recipes, always use a ripe avocado for the best taste and texture. If the avocados are unripe, cover them with a paper towel or brown paper and place them on the kitchen counter for a few days until they are ripe.
How to make an avocado salad
Make the dressing
1. Take 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and 1 dash of lemon zest or zest from one small lemon in a small bowl.
2. Add about 1 to 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
3. Add ¼ teaspoon of smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon of black pepper and 1 small to medium garlic (minced or finely chopped). Instead of smoked paprika, you can use ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper or sweet paprika or red chili powder.
4. Mix very well and reserve the vinaigrette.
Prepare the avocado and vegetables
5. Finely chop 1 medium tomato, chop 1 small onion and a few parsley leaves. You will need ¼ cup finely chopped onions, ⅓ to ½ cup chopped tomatoes, 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley or cilantro leaves (cilantro).
6. In a mixing bowl, place the chopped onions, tomatoes and parsley.
7. Now cut 2 medium sized avocados in half.
8. Scoop out the seeds and scoop out the pulp with a spoon from the avocado halves.
9. Chop the avocado pulp. If you don’t want to chop the avocado, then just the avocado pulp in the bowl. Crush and mix everything.
Make an avocado salad
10. In the mixing bowl, place the chopped avocados.
11. Stir and then pour the vinaigrette.
12. Season with a pinch of black salt (optional). Then add regular white salt or kosher salt or pink Himalayan salt or rock salt. Adding black salt gives a slight eggy flavor to the salad. I used a mixture of black and rock salt.
13. Stir and mix well.
14. Serve the avocado salad on the side or as a side dish. When ready to serve, garnish with finely chopped parsley or cilantro (cilantro leaves).