Baklava is one of my favorite desserts. It comes from the Middle East and is a rich, sweet and delicious dessert. We are talking about irresistible layers of phyllo dough filled with chopped and sweet nuts and held together with honey syrup. It keeps well in the freezer and refrigerator, and even keeps at room temperature for about a week, so it’s a great option for gifts too.
- Preparation time – 30 minutes
- Cooking time – 50 minutes
- Rest time – 8 hours
- Total duration – 1 hour 20 minutes
Ingredients Of Baklava
For the Baklava:
- 16 oz walnuts
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (or ground cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 oz thawed phyllo * dough
- 1 cup melted butter
For the syrup:
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of good quality honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 strip of orange peel
- 1 strip of lemon zest
READ ALSO: Undan Pori
Instructions Of Baklava
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix the nuts in a food processor with the cinnamon, cardamom and salt until they are well chopped.
- To assemble the baklava, place 8 layers of phyllo dough one by one at the bottom of a baking dish, brushing them lightly with butter.
- Spread 1/5 of the nut mixture on top (about 2/3 cup). Add 5 more layers of phyllo dough one by one, brushing each with butter, then add another layer of nuts.
- The entire sequence must be composed of phyllo layers, with nuts between these layers. Cook the baklava for 50 minutes, until it is golden on the edges and top.
- Meanwhile, bring all the syrup ingredients to a boil in a saucepan, then reduce to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove the citrus peels and the cinnamon stick and pour the hot syrup evenly over the baklava.
- The baklava cool at room temperature for 8 hours.