Balushahi is a traditional dessert originating from the Indian subcontinent. It is similar to a glazed doughnut in terms of ingredients, but differs in texture and taste.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- resting time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
Ingredients of Balushahi
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup ghee
- ¼ cup curd
- 9 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
For Sugar Syrup
- 1 heaped cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 12 saffron strands
- ghee for deep frying
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios or almonds
How to Make Balushahi
- Take ¼ cup ghee in a bowl, whisk the ghee till it is smooth, light and fluffy.
- Add ¼ cup chilled fresh curd and whisk again.
- Put 2 cups maida in a bowl.
- Add 1 pinch salt, 1 pinch baking soda and ½ teaspoon baking powder.
- Sift in the creamed ghee and curd.
- Sprinkle some cold water in parts and begin to mix it.
- Just mix and bring everything together to a dough.
- Cover the dough and keep aside for 15 minutes.
Take sugar or 1 heaped cup of sugar in a pan add ½ cup water and mix.
Place the pan on a low flame.
Using a spoon stir the sugar so that it dissolves.
Add ½ cardamom powder and saffron strands.
To avoid crystallisation of sugar, you can add some drops of lemon juice.
You can cook it to 1 string consistency.
When the syrup becomes sticky, then switch off flame.
Heat oil or ghee in a kadai.
Pinch small to medium-sized balls from the dough.
You can flatten them slightly.
Add some balushahi depending on the size of kadai in oil while frying.
Begin to fry badusha on a low flame.
When one side firms up and is light golden, turn them.
Frying balushahi on a low flame takes about 15 minutes.
Fry till golden and crisp.
Place them on kitchen paper towels.
After a couple of minutes, when fried balushahi are still hot, place them in the hot or warm sugar syrup.
Let these badusha soak in the sugar syrup for about 15 minutes.
Now lift each balushahi and place it in a serving tray or bowl.
Sprinkle some pistachios all over.
Store them in an air-tight jar or container at room temperature for about 1 week.