Banana Leaf wrapped Steamed Prawns: Banana leaves are used all around Asia to wrap and steam or bake the food. It not only keeps the food moist but also gives a mild flavour to it. It also gives a unique presentation to the dish. Here is a prawn recipe that has marinated prawns wrapped in banana leaf and steamed well. Perfect as a dinner party snack!
Recipe Servings: 2 Prep Time: Cook Time: Total Cook Time:
- 16-20 Tiger prawns
- 10 Gram All spiced powder
- 1 Fresh banana leaf
- 50 Ml Coconut milk
- 20 Gram Banana flower
- 10 Gram Xacuti masala
- For frying Refined oil
- 30 Gram Tempura flour
- To taste Salt
- 1.Peel, devein and wash the prawns in cold running water.
- 2.Using a banana leaf make a pouch keep aside.
- 3.In a wok, make an emulsion of coconut milk and all spice powder.
- 4.Using an oven at 70 C, dehydrate Xacuti masala on seal pad overnight for the crumble. Xacuti – A traditional Goan masala made with roasted coconut and select whole spices.
- 5.Marinate the prawn with salt and xacuti crumble, place inside the banana pouch.
- 6.Using a steamer, steam the prawns for 4-5 minutes.
- 7.Make a batter with tempura flour and deep fry the banana flowers.
- 8.For assembly place the banana pouch inside a dim sum basket, coconut emulsion and fried banana tempura flowers.
- 9.For garnish: Use Xacuti crumble, fried banana flowers.
- Banana Leaf wrapped Steamed Prawns are ready to serve.