Banoffee pie is an English dessert pie made from bananas, cream and caramel, combined on a butter cookie base or with crumbled cookies and butter. Some versions of the recipe also include chocolate, coffee, or both.
Ingredients Of Banoffee (British)
- 1 and 1/2 cups (150g)- graham cracker crumbs
- 5 Tablespoons (72g)- unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup (67g) – granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cups- dulce de leche
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- 2 cups (480ml) – cold heavy cream
- 1/4 cup- confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon- pure vanilla extract
- optional toppings: chocolate shavings, chopped nuts, or toffee bits for garnish
Also Read: Queen Elizabeth Cake
Instructions Of Banoffee (British)
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F (177 ° C). If you’re new to full-grain Graham crackers, you can use a food processor or blender to grind them. Or mash them in a zipped top bag with a rolling pin.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and granulated sugar in a medium bowl until combined. The mixture will be thick, coarse and sandy. Press the mixture into the bottom and lightly on the sides of a 9-inch pie dish.
- Make sure it is tight and compact. Use the bottom of a flat measuring cup to squeeze it firmly. Bake the crust for 15-16 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes (and up to 2 days) before adding the layers. Meanwhile, make the whipped cream. (The next step.) For the whipped cream: using a hand mixer or a stand mixer equipped with a whisk, whip the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla extract at medium-high speed until formation average peaks, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Medium peaks lie between soft / loose peaks and rigid peaks and are the perfect consistency for garnish and piping on desserts.
- Spread the dulce de leche on the crust. Arrange the banana slices in 1-2 layers on the dulce de leche, then spread the whipped cream on top.
- Refrigerate the open pie for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Garnish with garnishes before serving, if desired.
- Cover and keep leftover pie in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.