My BBQ chicken pizza consists of grilled chicken, BBQ sauce, caramelized red onions and cheese. My personal touch is the strong cheddar and the freshly grated pepper cheese. A slight deviation from your typical mozzarella cheese. It offers slightly sharper flavors with a very soft zipper. This cheese combo paired with chicken and caramelized onions is out of this world.
Ingredients of BBQ chicken pizza
- 18–20 ounces pizza dough
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1/3 cup bbq sauce
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced and caramelized
- 2 tablespoons butter, for caramelizing onions
- oregano for crust (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Also Read: Vegetarian Jambalaya
Direction of BBQ chicken pizza
- Preheat oven to 500° F.
- Meanwhile, roll out the dough into a 12-inch crust and set aside.
- In your 15-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat, caramelize the onions by sautéing lightly with butter, turning them occasionally.
- Cook until golden and soft, about 5 minutes. Remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and sauté the chicken in the cast-iron pan until cooked, about 5-7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove and set aside.
- Quickly rinse the pan in cold water and wipe with a paper towel, spray the inside evenly with cooking spray and set aside. Transfer the dough to the pan, leaving the 1/2 inch crust on the sides of the pan.
- Sprinkle with oregano if desired. Cover barbecue sauce evenly and garnish with chicken, caramelized onions and cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese is completely melted.
- Remove from oven, let cool and serve.