Today’s blueberry almond cake is my latest creation and it’s a good one! There is no skimping of almonds in this cake! Almond meal, sliced almonds, pure almond extract – this cake has got all of it in there. The almond meal makes for a moist, tender crumb, the sliced almonds add texture, and the almond extract helps pull everything together.
- All purpose flour – 1½ cups
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Unsalted butter – ½ cup, softened at room temperature
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 3, large
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Lemon zest – 2 tsp
- Almond flour – ¾ cup, lightly packed
- Fresh blueberries – 1 cup
- Almonds – ⅓ cup, blanched and halved
- Powdered sugar – for dusting on top of the cake, optional
ALSO READ: Farsi Puri (Diwali Special)
HOW TO MAKE
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg.F. Grease and flour a 9″ round cake pan. Line bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar and eggs on medium-high speed for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and lemon zest. Mix well to combine. Add almond flour and mix gently to combine.
- Tip in the sifted dry ingredients and mix gently to combine. Do not over-mix. The batter will be very thick.
- In a small bowl, toss the fresh blueberries in a tablespoon of flour. Fold the berries gently into the cake batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Tap the pan a couple of times on the countertop to get rid of any air bubbles. Scatter blanched almonds on top of the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cake passes the toothpick test.
- Remove pan from the oven and rest for 5 minutes. Remove cake from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Dust powdered sugar on top of the cake, if desired. Serve cake slices with coffee, tea or milk.