Today’s blueberry and almond cake is my latest creation and it’s a good one! There is no almond skint in this cake! Almond flour, sliced almonds, pure almond extract – this cake has it all. The almond flour gives a soft and tender crumb, the sliced almonds add texture and the almond extract helps to bring everything together.
Ingredients Of blueberry and almond cake
- All purpose flour – 1½ cups
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Unsalted butter – ½ cup, softened at room temperature
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 3, large
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Lemon zest – 2 tsp
- Almond flour – ¾ cup, lightly packed
- Fresh blueberries – 1 cup
- Almonds – ⅓ cup, blanched and halved
- Powdered sugar – for dusting on top of the cake, optional
ALSO READ: Farsi Puri (Diwali Special)
HOW TO MAKE Of blueberry and almond cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 “round cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Put aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar and eggs on medium-high speed for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest. Mix well to combine. Add the almond flour and mix gently to combine. Add the sieved dry ingredients and mix gently to combine. Do not over mix.
- The dough will be very thick. In a small bowl, mix the fresh blueberries in a tablespoon of flour. Gently fold the berries into the cake batter.
- Pour the dough into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Press the pan several times on the counter to get rid of air bubbles.
- Spread the blanched almonds on the dough. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cake passes the toothpick test.
- Remove the pan from the oven and rest for 5 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the cake, if desired.
- Serve slices of cake with coffee, tea or milk.