Blueberry pie is a pie with a blueberry filling. Blueberry pie is considered one of the easiest pies to make because it does not require pitting or peeling of fruit. It usually has a top and bottom crust. The top crust can be a circular crust but the pie can also have a crumble crust or no top crust at all.
Pie Making Tools
- Deep pie pan which allows for A TON of blueberries!
- Rolling pan – a simple one will do.
- Food processor – or use a pastry cutter to cut butter into flour.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Ingredients of Blueberry Pie
- yields 2 crusts
- 6 cups blueberries, rinsed and well drained (2 lbs or 32 oz)
- 1 tsp lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 4 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg + 1 Tbsp water
How to make Blueberry Pie
- Prepare your pie crust and let it refrigerate for 1 hour in the refrigerator before using it. Roll the first disc into a 13 “circle and transfer it to a 9” wide pie pan.
- Roll the second crust into a 12 “circle and use a pizza cutter to cut into ten 1-inch strips. In a large mixing bowl, combine 6 cups of blueberries, 2 tsp lemon zest Lemon juice, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 4 1/2 tsp. flour Cinnamon and mix.
- Transfer the blueberries to the pie pan lined with dough, setting it just slightly in the center and keeping the edges clean of the blueberry juice.
- Using the 10 strips of dough, create a lattice crust on top, pinch the edges to seal and crimp the edges if desired.
- Beat together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water and brush the egg mixture over the crust and edges of the trellis.
- Bake in the center of the oven at 375˚F for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the blueberry juice is bubbling around the edges.