The kolache in America has gone from a homemade treat to an increasingly commercial product. Besides bakeries, a number of donut shops and other franchises in Texas sell them. There are even restaurants in Texas and Indiana that specialize only in sweet and savory kolache.
Ingredients of Bohemian Kolaches
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups canned prune, poppy seed, cherry or lemon pie filling
- 1 large egg white, beaten
Also Read: Meringue Snowballs In Custard
Directions of Bohemian Kolaches
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 tablespoon of sugar in hot milk; let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, remaining sugar, egg yolks, salt, butter and yeast / milk mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Add enough flour to make a firm dough. Unmold on a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- If necessary, add additional flour. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. let rise in a warm place until the volume is doubled, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down and let rise.
- Spread on a floured surface to 1/2 inch. thickness. Cut with a tall glass or 2-1 / 2 in. cutter. Place on greased baking sheets; let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Press firmly on the indentation in the center and fill each roll with a tablespoon filled with filling.
- Brush the dough with egg white. Bake at 350 ° for 10-15 minutes or until the rolls are light golden brown.