Borek is a filled Anatolian, Balkan, Middle Eastern and Central Asian pie made of a thin flaky dough such as filo with a variety of fillings, such as meat, cheese, spinach or potatoes.
INGREDIENTS of Borek
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
For The Filling:
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup grated mozzarella
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 phyllo sheets
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
How to make Borek
- Whisk together the eggs, yogurt and olive oil in a bowl.
- Combine spinach, dill, parsley, green onions, cheeses, olive oil, salt and pepper in another bowl.
- Cut the phyllo sheets so that they fit in your baking pan.
- Cover them with a damp kitchen towel.
- Line the first phyllo sheet in a greased pan. Using a brush, spread 3 tablespoon yogurt mixture on it. Fold the edges to the center.
- Place the second phyllo sheet in the same way. Brush with the mixture. Repeat this for 6 phyllo sheets in total.
- Spread the filling evenly on the top of the all sheets.
- Place the 7th phyllo sheet over the filling, brush with the mixture.
- Fold the edges and repeat these steps for the remaining sheets.
- Finally, pour the rest of the egg and yogurt mixture on the top and spread it evenly.
- Slice the borek in squares and sprinkle sesame seeds over it.
- Bake it for 40 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and let it cool for 15 min.