Bread Pattice (Finger Foods for Kids): Resembling spring rolls, these pattice are completely different to taste and packed with the goodness of vegetables and soya. Use fresh bread for pleasing results. Baking them gives a wonderful crusty finish. A splendid grab-and-go Finger Foods for Kids snack!
Soaking Time: 10 mins Preparation Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 10 mins Baking Time: 15-17 mins Baking Temperature: 200ºC (400ºF) Total Time: 20 mins Makes 12 bread pattice
For The Filling
2 tbsp soya granules
1/2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp finely chopped spring onions whites
2 tbsp finely chopped spring onion greens
3 tbsp finely chopped carrots
2 tbsp shredded cabbage
3 tbsp finely chopped capsicum
2 tbsp chopped boiled noodles
1/2 tbsp chilli-garlic sauce, readily available in the market
1/2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1/2 tsp soy sauce
salt to taste
12 fresh whole wheat bread slices
melted butter for brushing
For the filling
- Soak the soya granules in enough warm water for 10 minutes. Drain, squeeze the water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the spring onion whites and greens and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the carrots, cabbage and capsicum and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 minutes.
- Add the soya granules and noodles and sauté on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Add the chilli-garlic sauce and tomato ketchup and sauté on a medium flame for few more seconds.
- Remove from the flame, add the soya sauce and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Place a bread slice on a flat dry surface and trim off the edges.
- Roll the bread slice very thinly using a rolling pin.
- Place a tbsp of the stuffing on one end of the bread and roll it up tightly so as to seal the filling.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 11 more bread pattice.
- Brush a little melted butter on each bread pattice and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200ºc (400ºf) for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool slightly, cut each roll into 2 equal pieces and and serve immediately.
- Use fresh bread for this recipe. If it is a little stale, steam it for 2 minutes before rolling.