Bread upma is an easy, quick and tasty Upma variation made with cubes of bread, herbs, onions, spices and tomatoes. This savory bread upma takes 30 minutes to make and makes a quick breakfast, brunch or evening snack.
I should have shared this recipe earlier, as this recipe is one of our favorite bread snack recipes. I have had fond memories associated with bread upma.
This dish was one of the first recipes I learned to make. In fact, during my school and college years, I made this bread upma for myself and my sister.
Now, I have been making this recipe for many years. It’s a very popular breakfast or snack at home. Quick to do when you’re short on time.
▢ 3 cups chopped bread cubes or 5-6 slices of bread – chopped into cubes
▢ 2 tablespoons of oil
▢ 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
▢ ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
▢ ⅓ cup finely chopped or 1 medium onion
▢ ½ teaspoon finely chopped green peppers or serrano pepper or 1 green pepper
▢ 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
▢ 6 to 7 chopped curry leaves
▢ ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
▢ ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
▢ ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
▢ 1 pinch of asafoetida – optional
▢ 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
▢ salt as needed
- Cut the slices of bread into cubes. If the edges of the bread have become dense, slice them off. Don’t throw them away. Instead, run them through a blender or food processor to make breadcrumbs.
- Finely chop the onions, green pepper, ginger and tomatoes. set aside.
- Chop the curry leaves and the coriander leaves. Set aside.
Making Bread upma
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add the mustard seeds and let them crack and pop.
- Then add the cumin seeds. Stir and sauté until the cumin seeds also crackle and change color.
- Add the chopped onions. Stir. Over low to medium heat, brown the onions until they become translucent.
- Add the finely chopped green peppers, finely chopped ginger and chopped curry leaves. Stir and sauté until the raw ginger aroma vanishes. About 10 to 12 seconds.
- Then add the finely chopped tomatoes. Add the turmeric powder, red pepper powder and a pinch of asafoetida (optional). For a spicier taste in bread upma, you can increase the amount of red chili powder.
- Mix very well. Add salt as needed.
- Stir and sauté this mixture of onions, tomatoes and spices until the tomatoes soften and you see oil coming off the sides. The tomatoes must be well cooked, otherwise you will smell their rawness.
- There should also be no liquid or moisture in the mixture and it should be slightly dry. Otherwise, the bread cubes become soggy.
- Add the bread cubes. Mix the bread well with the remaining mixture.
- Over low to medium heat, sauté the bread cubes for 4 to 5 minutes until they become slightly crispy around the edges.
- This way the bread cubes are crispy around the edges, as well as a soft texture in the center of the cubes. Then add the chopped coriander leaves.
- Instead of adding coriander leaves, you can also garnish with some, while serving bread upma.
- Toss and serve hot bread upma for breakfast or as a quick snack. When ready to serve, you can drizzle with a squeeze of lemon juice.