Fish pie, also known as fisherman’s pie, is a traditional British dish. The pie is usually made with white, often smoked, fish in a white sauce or cheddar cheese sauce made using the milk the fish was poached in. Prawns and hard boiled eggs are other common additional ingredients.
Ingredients of British Fish Pie
- 3 pounds Russet Potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 1/2 ounces Unsalted Butter, plus 3 1/2 ounces
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk, plus 2 1/4 cups
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- pinch of Ground Black Pepper, small
For the Fish Pie:
- 6 ounces Onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour, heaping
- Parsley Flakes
- 1 pound Firm Whitefish
- 1/2 pound Salmon
- 1/2 pound Shrimp
- 1/2 pound Smoked Fish
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Ground Nutmeg, to taste, optional
- 6 ounces Fresh Peas, or frozen peas, 1 1/2 cups
- 3/4 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
Also Read: Lancashire Hotpot(British)
Directions of British Fish Pie
- Add the potatoes to a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes until cooked.
- Drain and mash with 3 ounces of butter and 1/2 milk, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a small pinch of black pepper. Put aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 ° F. In a high-sided frying pan, add the 4 ounces of butter to the pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Don’t let the butter brown. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add a little milk, whisking until thickened, then continue adding in small batches while whisking in the flour. Whisk until thickened.
- Stir in parsley, salt, pepper, nutmeg if you are using it and gently add the fish and shrimp. Add the peas and pour the fish and sauce into a 3 quart pan.
- Garnish with mashed potatoes and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan and bake for another 10 minutes.