Pasta is a weeknight dinner standby. Try a new one sauced with salty capers and olives, fresh summer tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- Level: Easy
Ingredients of Bucatini With Olive-Caper Sauce
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces bucatini or spaghetti
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound tomatoes, diced
- 2/3 cup pitted kalamata or nicoise olives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, finely chopped
Also Read: Provencal Tuna Sandwiches
Directions of Bucatini With Olive-Caper Sauce
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as directed on the label. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta.
- Meanwhile, stack the garlic, 1 tablespoon capers and the red pepper flakes on a cutting board, mince, then mash with the flat side of a chef’s knife to make a paste.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the olive oil, tomatoes, olives, the 1 tablespoon of capers remaining and the butter. Stir in basil and cheese.
- Add the pasta to the bowl with the tomato mixture and mix until the butter is melted, adding the reserved cooking water to moisten, if necessary.
- Season with salt.