The bűndnernusstorte is a delicious pastry filled with caramelized walnuts from the canton of Graubünden. It is made in small independent bakeries across the canton, each with its own variation of the basic recipe for shortcrust pastry with a filling of caramelized sugar, cream and chopped nuts, usually nuts. Enjoy a piece of dessert (it’s very rich), with a cup of coffee or tea.
Ingredients of Bűndnernusstorte
- 275 g plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 75 g caster sugar
- 175 g butter, softened
- 1egg, plus 1 extra, whisked for egg wash
- 150 g caster sugar
- ⅓ cup(80 ml) water
- 150 g(1 ½ cups) walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 200 ml pouring cream
- 1 tbsp honey
Also Read: Zopf (British)
Direction of Bűndnernusstorte
- To make the shortcrust pastry, in a mixing bowl with a palette, slowly mix the salt, sugar, butter and the egg until well incorporated.
- Put the flour and mix. Form a dough. Let stand in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or until the dough is cold and firm.
- Spread a third of the dough on a piece of lightly floured parchment paper with a lightly floured rolling pin the size of the pie ring.
- Store in the refrigerator until needed. This will be the top of the cake.
- Grease and place a 22 cm by 3 cm round pastry ring on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Otherwise, grease and line the bottom of a 22 cm round cake pan with a height of 3 cm. Spread the remaining two-thirds of the dough on a piece of lightly floured baking paper 30 cm in diameter.
- Transfer to the pastry ring or cake pan by gently wrapping around a rolling pin, then unrolling to lay the top evenly.
- Press the dough into the corners and leave a small overlap on the top edge.
- Lightly prick the base with a fork and store in the refrigerator until needed.
- To make the caramel-nut filling, place the sugar and water in a medium stainless steel saucepan and heat without stirring.
- Shake the pan occasionally from side to side and brush the sides of the pan with a damp pastry brush if crystals form, until the caramel is light brown in color.
- Remove from heat and add the coarsely chopped nuts and cream, stir to combine. Be careful as the caramel can splash and a lot of steam will be created.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Return the filling mixture to low heat and cook until the liquid is slightly reduced and the color becomes medium brown (3-4 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add honey. Let cool completely before spreading it evenly on the ring or mold lined with dough.
- Fold the excess dough over the filling. Lightly brush the folded dough with water and place it on the pre-rolled top, pressing lightly on the edges to seal.
- Brush delicately with the egg wash. Go around and press the edges with a fork and lightly prick all over.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool.
- Remove from ring or mold before cooling completely and place on a wire rack.