Burnt Toast is the BEST French Toast that I’ve ever eaten in London. The homemade fig and walnut bread is soaked in a cinnamon, coconut sugar and vanilla and topped with mojito berries, Canadian maple syrup and house-made butterscotch sauce. Good! Now go try it!
Ingredients For Burnt Toast
FOR THE BURNT TOAST GELATO
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- ¼ cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 slice burnt toast
FOR THE CONCORD GRAPE SORBET
- 4 cups concord grapes, firmly packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
How to Make Burnt Toast
- 1. Burn the toast properly. Take a slice of bread and spread it with softened butter. Place it on a platter and grill in an oven set at 400 ° F until dark brown, but not black. Let cool.
- 2. Make the burnt toast. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar. Put aside.
- 3. In a saucepan, combine the heavy cream, whole milk, powdered milk and the remaining sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking occasionally. Pour a little liquid into the egg yolk mixture. Whisk to combine. Return to pan and cook, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.
- 4. Add the salt and crumble the burnt toast. Leave to soak for a few minutes. Mix with a hand mixer until smooth. Pass through a fine mesh colander or cheesecloth. Refrigerate completely before using.
- 5. Make the grape sorbet concord. Combine grapes, sugar and lemon juice. Let macerate for a few minutes. Mix with a hand blender until the grapes no longer look like grapes and the mixture looks like grape juice. Place the juice mixture in a saucepan. Add the water. Over medium heat, cook, stirring constantly, until boiling.
- 6. Pass carefully through a fine mesh colander or through cheesecloth. Refrigerate completely before using.
- 7. Combine ice and sorbet. Slowly pour the concord grape sorbet mixture into the popsicle pan, slightly less than halfway. Gently and slowly pour the toast mixture. Do not stir and move the mold as little as possible.
- 8. Insert the popsicle sticks and place the mold in the freezer. Freeze overnight.