Cabbage and Dal Parathas: A great combination of cereals, pulses and vegetables, this balanced dish can be made more nutritious by replacing half the wheat flour with soya flour or nachni flour.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 6 parathas
For The Dough
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
1/4 tsp salt
For The Stuffing
3/4 cup finely chopped cabbage
1/4 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram) , soaked and parboiled
1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
of turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
1/4 cup finely chopped mint leaves (phudina)
1 tsp oil
1/8 tsp salt
whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
1 1/2 tsp oil for cooking
Method To Make Cabbage and Dal Parathas
For the dough
- Combine the flour and salt together in a bowl and add enough water to make soft dough.
- Knead well for 3 to 4 minutes and keep aside.
For the stuffing
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and fry the fennel seeds in it for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté till they turn golden brown in colour.
- Add the green chillies, turmeric powder, ginger, amchur cabbage and 1 tbsp of water and mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the moong dal and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the salt and mint and mix very well.
- Remove from the flame divide into 6 equal portions and keep aside.
How to proceed
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion of the dough into a circle of about 100 mm. (4″) diameter using a little flour for rolling.
- Place 1 portion of the stuffing in the centre of the circle.
- Bring together all the sides in the centre and seal tightly.
- Roll out again into a circle of 150 mm. (5″) diameter using a little wheat flour for rolling.
- Cook on a non-stick pan on both sides using ¼ teaspoon oil until brown spots appear.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing to make 5 more parathas.
- Cabbage and Dal Parathas are ready. Serve hot.
|Value per paratha||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||57.9 mcg||1%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.1 mg||10%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg||9%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.9 mg||7%|
|Vitamin C||14.6 mg||37%|
|Vitamin E||0.2 mg||1%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||19.1 mcg||10%|