Here is a nutrient-dense recipe for your kid, who is soon going to be one. The Cabbage Moong Dal Khichdi is chock-full of protein and carbohydrates, which are essential for your child.
Cabbage adds to the vitamin C content of this delicious dish, while moong dal gives folic acid, iron and calcium as well. This is also the right age to add finely-chopped veggies to the diet, so that the kid slowly gets into the habit of chewing, and also gets used to the textures of regular home-cooked food.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 1 cup
1/4 cup finely chopped cabbage
2 tbsp green moong dal (split green gram) , washed and drained
2 tbsp rice (chawal) , washed and drained
1/2 tsp ghee
1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
restricted quantity of salt (optional)
- Combine the rice, moong dal and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 5 seconds.
- Add the cabbage and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the cabbage turns soft.
- Add the cooked dal-rice mixture, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Cabbage Moong Dal Khichdi is ready. Cool slightly and serve lukewarm.
Nutrient values for 1 cup
|Vitamin C||37.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||48.0 mcg|