Cake balls are small spheres of reconstituted cake crumbs, coated with chocolate or frosting. They are made by blending cake crumbs with icing, shaping them to form a ball and then dipping them in a coating.
INGREDIENTS of Cake balls (Children Special)
- 1 box cake mix flavor
- eggs, oil and water
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons canned frosting flavor of your choice
- 1 pound candy melts or Melting Wafers
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
INSTRUCTIONS of Cake balls (Children Special)
- Prepare the cake mix with the amount of oil, water and eggs indicated on the box. Bake in baking pan.
- Let the cake cool completely, then break it up and crumble it until fine crumbs form. Stir in frosting until a paste forms.
- If the dough seems dry, you can add additional frosting, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Roll the cake mix into tablespoons size balls. Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Melt the candies in a bowl in the microwave, heating them in 30 second increments, and stir until they are completely smooth.
- Place each cake ball on a fork and use a spoon to pour the melted candies onto the cake ball.
- Tap against the side of the bowl to remove excess melted candy. Place each ball on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Decorate with glitter. Repeat with the remaining cake balls and the melted candy.