Did you ever think it is possible to prepare a zero-oil, low-salt pickle? Well, we mean it. Here is a crunchy carrot pickle that can easily pep up boring meals, and it is made with just a mild dash of salt, lemon juice and a tantalising dry masala. You can refrigerate this Carrot Pickle and use it for 2 to 3 days at the most. But, you can prepare a larger batch of the dry masala and use it to quickly prepare the pickle any time you wish, or add it to other veggies, dal and subzis as well.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 1 cup (14 tbsp ) (14 tbsp )
1 cup thickly grated carrot
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
For The Dry Masala
2 tbsp coriander (dhania) seeds
1 whole dry kashmiri red chilli , broken into pieces
1/2 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
1/4 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1/2 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
For the dry masala
- Combine all the ingredients in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a fine powder and keep aside.
How to proceed
- Combine the carrots, lemon juice and salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Add the prepared dry masala and mix well.
- Keep aside to marinate for atleast 1 hour.
- Cover with a lid and refrigerate till serving. This pickle will last for upto 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
|Value per tbsp||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||119 mcg||2%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin C||0.7 mg||2%|
|Vitamin E||0 mg||0%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||1.5 mcg||1%|