This classic ceviche recipe makes a perfect party appetizer as it is easy to prepare and can be marinated a day in advance. It combines fish with lime and spicy peppers, then stack the mixture on tortilla chips for a hassle-free presentation. The recipe is just as delicious with snapper, halibut or other fresh fillets with a sweet taste.
Ingredients of Ceviche (Low Fat)
- 500g firm white fish fillets, such as haddock, halibut or pollack, skinned and thinly sliced
- juice 8 limes (250ml/9fl oz), plus extra wedges to serve
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings
- handful pitted green olives, finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped into 2cm pieces
- bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- good pinch caster sugar
- tortilla chips, to serve
Method of Ceviche (Low Fat)
- Combine the fish, lime juice and onion in a large glass bowl. The juice should completely cover the fish.
- Cover with cling film and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove the fish and onion from the lime juice (discard the juice) and put in a bowl.
- Add the olives, peppers, tomatoes, coriander and olive oil, stir gently, then season with a good pinch of salt and sugar.
- This can be done a few hours in advance and kept in the refrigerator.
- Serve with tortilla chips to pick up the ceviche and enjoy with a glass of cold beer.
There are many ways to serve ceviche. Here are some of our favorites: Place the ceviche in a large bowl and let people spoon it onto individual plates to eat with chips or saltines; spoon the ceviche into small bowls and serve tostadas, chips or saltines alongside; or pile the ceviche onto chips or tostadas and pass around for guests to consume on these edible little plates. Garnish the ceviche with cilantro leaves before serving.