Chana Palak, Healthy Heart Chole Palak Recipe : Creamy white chana and vibrant spinach are a match made in heaven, not only due to their complementary good looks, flavour and texture, but also the heart-friendly blend of nutrients and fibre.
Chana Palak, a luscious preparation of chickpeas, cooked in a mild gravy of spinach, flavoured with onions, tomatoes, and other common spices and pastes, is a wonderful accompaniment for sumptuous whole wheat parathas or brown rice. Serve immediately, to enjoy the fresh flavour and texture with rotis and parathas.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 4 servings
1 cup soaked and boiled kabuli chana (white chick peas)
1 1/2 cups blanched and chopped spinach (palak)
1 tsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
salt to taste
whole wheat parathas / brown rice
- Blend the spinach in a mixer to a smooth purée and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the onions, garlic and ginger-green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till the onions turn golden brown in colour. Add a little water to avoid the onions from sticking to the kadhai.
- Add the spinach purée, tomatoes and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the kabuli chana and salt, mix well and cook for another 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with whole wheat parathas or brown rice.
|Value per serving||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||3641.6 mcg||76%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.1 mg||10%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.2 mg||18%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||1 mg||8%|
|Vitamin C||22.9 mg||57%|
|Vitamin E||1.4 mg||9%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||120.5 mcg||60%|