Chermoula is a spicy Arabic recipe involving harissa, saffron, paprika, lemon and mint.
Ingredients of Chargrilled aubergines with chermoula
- 3 large (about 1kg) aubergines
- About 100ml olive oil
For the chermoula
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1½ tsp sweet paprika
- Good pinch of saffron strands
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 20g fresh coriander leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 20g fresh mint leaves
- 120ml extra-virgin olive oil
Also Read: Classic Cottage Pie
Method of Chargrilled aubergines with chermoula
- Cut the aubergines lengthwise into 1 cm thick slices. Sprinkle with salt, place in a colander and set aside to drain for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the chermoula. Put the garlic, spices, harissa, lemon juice, herbs and 4 tablespoons of oil in a food processor with a pinch of salt.
- Mix with a paste and stir in enough remaining oil to make a sauce. Preheat the oven to 110 ° C / fan 90 ° C / gas ¼.
- Pat the eggplants dry with paper towels. In batches, brush with oil and cook on the barbecue over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side, until golden.
- Keep warm in the oven while the remaining slices cook.
- Place the eggplant slices on a serving platter, drizzle with chermoula and sprinkle with cilantro leaves for garnish.