My love for quick recipes is growing stronger day by day. Ramadan Iftaars demands a lot of variety especially when my son joins me. So here I present the Cheese Croquettes cousin brother…. Cheese Fingers! I also call it Easy Cheesy Fingers because it’s super easy and can be done in a jiffy. A perfect snack option while enjoying the monsoon rains and even solving the tiffin problem for picky eaters. The cheese filling on the inside gives a gooey texture on the inside that every kid would surely love. The crispy layer given with breadcrumbs or poppy seeds first makes a perfect bite and then takes you to the incredible flavor tour, where the melted potatoes so surprisingly combine with the oozing cheese. It’s definitely a volcanic eruption !!!
All you need are a few basic ingredients for restaurant-style cheese fingers. For a long time, I have been playing with this recipe. I often keep experimenting with the flavors of the potato and also the type of cheese until I get my own buttery, flaky, slightly crunchy cheese fingers. Those gooey melted cheese fingers can be best enjoyed with pizza or salsa sauces. So let’s quickly get to the recipe.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 4 potatoes
- 10 mozzarella cheese sticks
- Salt – as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon of cilantro – (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1/2 cup of water
- 4 tablespoons of bread or poppy seed crumbs (khus khus)
- Oil – for frying
- Boil the potatoes, peel them and mash them evenly. Add the salt, chili flakes, oregano and finely chopped cilantro. Mix everything. Set aside.
- Slice the mozzarella cheese into sticks of equal size. You can even use ready-made cheese sticks.
- Take a cheese stick and cover it with mashed potatoes evenly, covering all sides. Shape it like a finger and keep it aside. Make similar fingers in batches.
- Meanwhile, heat enough oil to fry in a wok. In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch to make a solution and spread the poppy seeds or breadcrumbs on a plate. (I used poppy seeds)
- Take a finger and dip it in the cornstarch solution, roll over the poppy seeds so that it covers the finger on all sides and fry them.
- Repeat the same with the rest of the fingers. As soon as the fingers turn lightly browned, drain them in a paper towel or paper towel to soak the excess oil.
- Serve hot with your favorite tomato dip or sauce.