There are many ways to eat a burger and onion rings, but none are as efficient as this. Eliminate the need for extra plates (and extra bites) by stuffing the cheese inside the burger meat, the burger meat inside the onion ring, and then coating and frying the whole dang thing.
- Total Time: 30 minutes
INGREDIENTS of Cheeseburger Onion Ring Bites
- 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pickle, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10-12 cubes cheddar cheese
- 2 cups flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Ketchup and mustard for serving (optional)
DIRECTIONS of Cheeseburger Onion Ring Bites
- Preheat the oil to 350 ℉ in a fryer or a thick-bottomed pan equipped with an oil thermometer.
- Cut the onions crosswise into 1-inch rounds, discard the centers and the peels, separate the rings and lay them flat on a cutting board.
- In a medium bowl, add the beef, pickles, salt and pepper; mix with your hands until just combined.
- Press the beef into each onion ring, filling them halfway. Glue a cheese cube in the center of each ring, fill the rest of the way with more beef.
- Level them so that the sides are flat.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl, the eggs in another and the panko in another. Dredge patties in the flour, then the eggs, then the panko, coating carefully.
- Fry 2-3 at a time for 4 minutes, turning them halfway.
- Transfer to a rack to drain.
- Serve immediately with ketchup and mustard.