Chhena Poda is a traditional dessert from Odisha, which is made from caramelised sugar. This popular dessert is a must-have at home during auspicious festivals like Durga Puja.
Fresh, soft and spongy paneer is best suited for this recipe. The fine, crumbly paneer mix when poured over the caramelised sugar results in this yummy Chhena Poda which has to be relished immmediately. Make sure that you bake the mixture carefully as mentioned in the recipe.
- 1.5 cup – fresh paneer
- 1/2 cup – sugar
- 2 tbsp – semolina
- A pinch of cadamom
- 1 tbsp – ghee
- Handful of raisins and cashews
ALSO READ: Whole Wheat Nankhatai (Diwali Special)
How to Make
- Make fresh paneer and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Do not squeeze it very hard, a spongy texture with a little moisture is good enough.
- Heat little ghee in a pan, roast cashews and keep it aside.
- Now, take paneer in a bowl and mix it with semolina and cardamom.
- Start kneading it till you get a very mashed quality, this will take 3-4 minutes.
- Add sugar and nuts and again mix it with paneer thoroughly to get a crumbly mixture finally.
- Now, in the ramekins, spread a little ghee and keep them on low flame to melt it properly.
- Add sugar to it and let it caramelise for a minute.
- Pour in the paneer mix over the caramelised sugar.
- Press it with fingers to form an even surface.
- Preheat the oven at 185 deg.C and make sure to cover the ramekin with a foil paper and bake the ramekins for 25-30 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick to check if it is cooked.
- Cool it for a while, and take it out from the ramekin.
- Serve it warm.