Curry puffs are a common snack in Southeast Asia, made with pastry shells and delicious curry chicken, potato or egg toppings. It is similar to empanadas, except that the outer cover is more flaky and pastry. I love these puffs of chicken curry because they are EASY to prepare and require only a few ingredients.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Ingredients for Chicken Curry Puffs
- 1 pack frozen puff pastry sheets I used pepperidge farms
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 tbsp garam masala, 1 tbsp mild red chili powder and 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- salt to taste
- cilantro for garnishing
Direction for Chicken Curry Puffs
- Take the frozen puff pastry sheets out of the freezer and let them thaw. While the pastry sheets are thawed, start making the filling.
- Finely chop the onion. Grate the ginger. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the chopped onions and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until they become soft and translucent.
- Add half the garam masala, brown sugar, grated ginger and cook for another minute. Add the ground chicken, rice wine and soy sauce.
- Mix well and cook uncovered for 5 to 7 minutes over medium-high heat until the chicken is brown and cooked through. Add salt to taste and the remaining garam masala if you want the garnish to be spicier.
- Garnish with cilantro. While the filling cools, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Gently roll the dough sheets to a uniform thickness. Using a round cookie cutter, cut about 4 to 5 inches of round circles.
- Place a tablespoon of filling in the center of the pastry circles. Gently pick them up and fold the dough in your hands, pinching the edges together.
- Once the edges are closed, place them down and gently fold the edge or press down with a fork to seal it.
- Stuff, fold and seal all the pastry circles and align them on the baking sheet.
- Beat an egg yolk with a teaspoon of water.
- Rub it gently on the puffs.
- Cook them for 10 to 12 minutes until they turn golden brown.
- Cool down and serve.