I want a really comforting meal, this chicken pie recipe is perfect. It satisfies the soul and is surprisingly simple to put together. We will use my favorite homemade pie crust recipe for a solid crust on the bottom and a golden brown flaky cape on top, Between the layers of pie crust is a mixture of chicken and vegetables topped with a rich, creamy white sauce flavored with a little baked onion, salt, pepper and thyme.
Ingredients of Chicken Pie
- 2 x 320g rolls of ready-rolled puff pastry
- 3 chicken breasts – cut into small chunks
- 3 carrots – peeled and chopped
- 3 medium sized potatoes – peeled and chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock – water plus 3 stock cubes is fine
- 50 g butter
- 1 large onion – peeled and finely chopped
- 50 g plain/all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk – half or full fat
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 egg – slightly whisked with a fork
How To Make Chicken Pie
- Preheat the oven to 200c. Line a 10 x 8-inch pie pan with a roll of puff pastry. Prick the base several times with a fork and cut the large pieces of dough overhanging.
- Line the dough with parchment so that it completely covers the dough, then fill with beans and place in the oven to “cook blind” for 10 minutes.
- This helps prevent the pie from having a soggy bottom. Because it’s puff pastry, the sides will swell up a bit, if you want to avoid that, just fill with more baked beans.
- Take out of the oven and set aside. Meanwhile, place the chicken, carrots, potatoes, salt, pepper, thyme and broth in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes then turn off the heat.When the chicken and broth are almost cooked, take another large pan and add the butter and chopped onion. Heat over medium heat and cook the onion for about 5-6 minutes until it is tender.
- Add the flour and mix with the onions and the butter using a balloon whisk. It should form a creamy paste. Let the roux cook for a minute while stirring with your whisk, then add a ladle of chicken broth broth.
- Add the broth to the mixture using the whisk. Repeat this until you have taken most of the bottom out of the chicken pan. Then pour the milk. Heat while stirring with a whisk. The sauce should thicken as it heats up.
- Once the sauce is almost at a boil, add the chicken and vegetables. Bring to a boil and add half the lemon juice. Stir and taste. Add the rest of the lemon juice and more seasoning if you think he needs it.
- Remove the beans and the baking parchment from the pie and fill the pie with the chicken mixture.
- Brush the edges of the dough with egg, then garnish the pie with the rest of the dough. Pinch the edges to seal, then brush the top with more eggs and poke a few small holes in the top of the pie with a sharp knife.
- Return to oven and bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.