Chilaquiles is a traditional Mexican breakfast dish consisting of corn tortillas cut into quarters and lightly fried.
Ingredients of Chilaquiles
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ½ cups crushed tomatoes
- 4 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- tortilla chips
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- hot sauce optional
How to make Chilaquiles
- Red sauce: Saute diced onion and minced garlic for 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and continue to sauté for 2 minutes. Put salt and pepper.
- Put mixture into a blender and add crushed tomatoes, chipotle peppers in adobe and stock. Blend them.
- Put sauce back into pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat and add oil.
- Fry eggs for 5 minutes until edges are crispy, whites have set but yolks are still runny.
- Raise heat of sauce to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Add tortilla chips.
- Repeat until all chips have been added and evenly coated.
- Season with salt and pepper and gently fold together. Remove from heat.
- Top with fried eggs and queso fresco, radishes, cilantro, and hot sauce. Serve immediately.