INGREDIENTS IN CHILAQUILES
The two crucial ingredients in chilaquiles are the tortillas and the chili sauce. Because the recipe only contains a few ingredients, quality matters. Here’s what I recommend.
FOR THE TORTILLAS
As tempting as it may be to use store-bought tortilla chips, I don’t recommend it. Making your own baked chips literally takes 10 to 12 minutes and the end result is so much better.
I find that store bought chips tend to get soggy really quickly when mixed in the sauce, whereas homemade chips are sturdier and can withstand more liquid. Plus, the taste of homemade chips is way more corn-y and grain-y, which I absolutely love.
FOR THE SAUCE
I highly recommend making your own. Here’s a red enchilada sauce recipe I like. It’s super easy to do and the complex flavors don’t even compare to any store-bought red enchilada sauce I’ve ever tried.
Ingredients of Chilaquiles
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 4 cups tortilla chips (about 40 chips)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
How to Make Chilaquiles
- Place the tomatoes and jalapeño peppers in a blender. Add the broth, salt and garlic. Cover and treat at high speed for 1 minute or until smooth, put aside.
- Heat a 12 inch sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, swirl to coat. Add the onion, sauté 2 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add the tomato mixture to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potato chips to the pan and stir to coat with the tomato mixture. Break the eggs, 1 at a time, over the fries, spacing them evenly in a circle inside the pan. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Place the avocado slices on the eggs. Garnish with spoonfuls of sour cream and a pinch of coriander.
- Serve immediately.