Babka is an Eastern European cake-bread. It is a rich brioche dough and a rich, smooth and super chocolaty filling, and it always feels homey and comforting.
- Active: 1 hr 15 mins
- Total: 6 hrs
Ingredients of CHOCOLATE BABKA
How to make CHOCOLATE BABKA
- Dough: Whisk the flour with the sugar and salt and with milk and yeast, mix all of them in mixer grinder.
- Add the egg and egg yolk and sprinkle the dry ingredients on top.
- Scrape down the side of the bowl and mix at medium speed until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated and the dough is smooth, about 5 minutes.
- After making the dough cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Now cut the dough in half. Pat each piece into a square.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Fillings: Take a pan and melt both chocolates with the butter.
- Coat two loaf pans with nonstick baking spray and line with parchment paper.
- Roll out each square of dough to a square.
- Spread in an even layer over the dough squares to within thick edges.
- Starting at the long edge nearest you, tightly roll up each dough square jelly roll–style into a tight log.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the logs in half crosswise.
- Using an offset spatula, spread 1/4 cup of the reserved filling on the top and sides of 2 of the halves. Set the other halves on top in the opposite direction to form a cross. Twist to form spirals and transfer to the prepared pans.
- Cover the loaves a cotton cloth for 2 hours in warm place.
- Bake the loaves for about 45 minutes in ovan.
- Let cool slightly, then use the parchment paper to lift the babkas out of the pans.
- In a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt both chocolates with the butter.
- Stir in the corn syrup.
- Spread the glaze on top of the warm babkas.
- Set, about 30 minutes.