“With a large Jewish population in Piedmont, Italy may have been the place where the Jews first tasted biscotti and then brought them to Europe where they called them mandelbrot, which literally means almonds. In Ukraine, a cookie similar not necessarily to almonds but made at home, like kamish, was served. In Italy, they are often eaten as a dessert dipped in wine or grappa. In Eastern Europe, the Jews soaked them in a glass of tea, and because they do not contain butter and are easy to store, they have become a good Sabbath dessert. “
- Prep Time- 15 minutes
- Cook Time- 40 minutes
Ingredients of Chocolate Chip Mandelbrot Cookies
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (you can sub chopped nuts, candied fruits, etc.)
- Ground cinnamon and granulated sugar for dusting
Also Read: Bohemian Kolaches
Instructions of Chocolate Chip Mandelbrot Cookies
- Mix the oil and sugar until well blended, then add the eggs one by one. Once the eggs are combined, add the vanilla.
- Sift all the dry ingredients and slowly add them to the sugar / egg mixture.
- Once the dough is smooth and sticky, pour the chocolate chips and mix.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for a few hours (at least 2) or overnight.
- Lightly oil your hands and form 4 long rows with the dough on an ungreased cookie sheet (I line the cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy cleaning). Each strip of dough should be 3 to 4 inches wide. They will spread out a lot during cooking, so be sure to leave enough space between the rows.
- Bake at 350 ° C for 25 minutes. While the mandel bread is baking, in a shallow flat dish, combine the combined cup of sugar with enough cinnamon to brown the mixture. It is better to look at it – it should not be too brown or too white.
- Take out the bread with the mandel and lower the oven to 250 degrees F. Cut the bread with the mandel into pieces the size of a biscotti.
- Roll each cookie in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Return the pieces to the cookie sheet on their sides.
- Cook for another 15 minutes until they have reached the texture you want. The longer they stay in the oven, the more crisp they will be. If the slices are large or large, you may need more than 15 minutes. Keep an eye on it and don’t overcook, as this cookie tends to dry out quickly. keep in a tightly closed case.
Soft Mandel Bread Variation: I asked a few blog readers to ask for a “sweet mandelbread” recipe. This is a bit of a contradiction in terms, since mandel bread is traditionally baked twice to obtain a crisp texture. However, you can use this recipe to make a sweeter cookie by only baking it for 25 minutes and skipping the second 15 minute baking cycle (which “toasts” the cookies). Just make sure your cookies are fully baked after the first baking cycle – if the center of the cookies looks damp, bake for a few more minutes until they are fully baked. Keep a close eye on cookies to make sure they are not overcooked. This will give you a “sweet” cookie at the man