Chocolate Frosted Donuts with Sprinkles – soft and pillowy yeasted doughnuts covered with a decadent chocolate glaze and festive sprinkles.
- Course: Breakfast, Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 285 cal
Ingredients of Chocolate Frosted Donuts with Sprinkles
- 2-1/4 teaspoons (one 1/4-ounce packet) instant yeast
- 2 Tablespoons warm water
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 stick butter softened
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- frying oil Rice Bran, Vegetable, Canola, Grapeseed etc.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
Also Read: Chili crab (Singapore)
Instructions for Chocolate Frosted Donuts with Sprinkles
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the yeast and lukewarm water, then stir to dissolve. Add the flour, milk, butter, egg yolks and sugar to the bowl and mix on low speed until everything is mixed.
- Set the speed to medium and mix for about 3-4 minutes until the dough is smooth and lump-free.
- Place a large silicone mat on the counter or dust the work surface with flour. Knead the dough into a ball.
- Coat a large bowl with olive oil and transfer the dough to a bowl. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Once the dough has risen, cut it. Roll the dough on the prepared work surface to about 1/4 “thick, then cut into donuts using a cookie cutter.
- Repeat until all pieces have been cut. Cover and let the dough rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large pot or Dutch oven until it reaches 375 degrees. You can also test if it is ready using the tip of wooden chopsticks or a wooden spoon.
- Gently place a few donuts at a time in the hot oil. When they start to rise and turn golden, immediately turn them over with tongs or a wooden spoon.
- After second side turns golden immediately transfer the fully fried donuts to paper towels to mop up the excess oil. Continue with the remaining donut.
- To make the chocolate frosting: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter and milk over medium-high heat, stirring until smooth.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the chocolate, whisking until it is melted. Turn off the heat and add the vanilla and corn syrup, whisking until smooth.
- Gently fold in the powdered sugar and whisk until smooth. Quickly dip the donuts into the frosting before it begins to set.
- Let dry slightly and soak again for a thicker glaze and garnish evenly with glitter.
Place the donuts on a wire rack so that the excess frosting drops and let the frosting sit on the donuts for 30 minutes before serving.