These whoopie pies are cake-like, but sturdy enough to keep their shape. The confectioners’ sugar based buttercream filling is flavored with stout.
INGREDIENTS of Chocolate Stout Whoopie Pies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup stout
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup marshmallow creme
How To Make Chocolate Stout Whoopie Pies
- Heat oven and Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in egg.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk, then stout, mixing just until incorporated.
- The prepared baking sheets. Bake until tops are set and spring back when lightly pressed, 10 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheets 5 minutes and let cool completely.
- While cookies cool, make filling: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Fold in marshmallow creme and beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes before using.
- When ready to serve, spread filling onto half of cookies, then top with remaining cookies.