Nothing says Sunday morning like a warm, gooey batch of homemade Soft Cinnamon Rolls topped with a generous coating of cream cheese glaze! This is the only cinnamon roll recipe you will ever need! This cinnamon roll recipe doesn’t require a ton of ingredients, but it does require love, patience and dedication to the true recipe — meaning don’t deter from the original!
Ingredients Of Cinnamon Rolls
- For the dough:
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 2 ¼ teaspoons quick rise or active yeast
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- For the filling:
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
How To Make Cinnamon Rolls
- Hot milk at around 110 degrees F. Transfer the hot milk to the bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle with yeast on top.
- Add sugar, egg, egg yolk and melted butter. Mix until homogeneous. Then stir in the flour and salt with a wooden spoon until a dough begins to form.Place the dough hook on the stand mixer and knead the dough at medium speed for 10 minutes.
- The dough should form a pretty ball and be slightly sticky. If you don’t want to use an electric mixer, you can use your hands to knead the dough for 8-10 minutes. on a well floured surface.
- Transfer the ball of dough to a well-oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a hot towel. Let the dough rise for 1 hour to 1 ½ hours, or until it doubles in volume. It can take longer or shorter depending on the humidity and temperature of your home.
- After dough has doubled in size, transfer dough to a well-floured surface and roll out into a 14×9 inch rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough, leaving a ¼ inch margin at the far side of the dough.In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Use your hands to sprinkle mixture over the buttered dough, then rub the brown sugar mixture into the butter.Roll the dough firmly, starting at the 9-inch side and place the seam side down, making sure to seal the edges of the dough as best as you can.
- You will probably need to cut about an inch from the ends of the dough, as the ends will not be as full of cinnamon sugar as we would like.Cut into 1 inch sections with a serrated knife or floss. You should get 9 large pieces.Place cinnamon rolls in a greased 9×9 inch baking pan or round 9 inch cake pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel and let rise again for 30-45 minutes.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap and towel and bake cinnamon rolls for 20-25 minutes or until just slightly golden brown on the edges.
- You want to underbake them a little so they stay soft in the middle, that’s why we want them just slightly golden brown. Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before frosting. Makes 9 cinnamon rolls.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Spread over cinnamon rolls and serve immediately.