Clam chowder is any of several chowder soups in American cuisine containing clams. In addition to clams, common ingredients include diced potatoes, salt pork, and onions.
Ingredients of clam chowder
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cans chopped clams, juices reserved
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
How to Make clam chowder
- Heat a large stockpot.
- Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving 1 tablespoon excess fat; set aside.
- Melt butter, Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently.
- Stir in thyme until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browne.
- Gradually whisk in milk, vegetable stock, clam juice and bay leaf, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in half and half and clams until heated through; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately, garnished with bacon and parsley.