Cottage tart is one of the classics of British cuisine. It is known to be a hearty, hearty and warming food and although it is often considered a winter dish, it is perfect at any time of the year.
Ingredients of Classic Cottage Pie
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Also Read: French Spinach Soufflé
Directions of Classic Cottage Pie
- In a large skillet, cook the lamb, carrots and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender, drain.
- Stir in flour, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually add the broth and wine; stir in tomato paste and brown sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the temperature, simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in the peas. Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the temperature, cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender. Preheat the oven to 400 °. Transfer the meat mixture to a greased 9 inch. deep pie plate. Drain the potatoes; mash with milk and butter.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of cheese, salt and pepper. Spread over the meat mixture, sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil (the plate will be full). Cook 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden.