Coconut Barfi or Nariyal Barfi is a sweet and delicious barfi or fudge that has freshly grated coconut and sugar as the main ingredients. Coconut barfi is usually made by adding grated coconut to a mixture of single-consistency sugar syrup and cooking them together. For the past two decades or so, condensed milk has also been included in this recipe.
Ingredients of Coconut Fudge
- 3 cups of fresh or desiccated coconut (fresh gives the best results)
- 400 grams sweetened condenced milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon elaichi powder
- 5 tablespoons ghee
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 cup almonds (blanched and cut into slivers)
- few pieces of saffron to garnish
How To Make Coconut Fudge
- Heat a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat and add the coconut, condensed milk and sugar.
- Mix these ingredients well and cook until the condensed milk is reduced to a quarter of its original amount or you notice a fudge-like consistency.
- Add the ghee and mix well. Cook it until the ghee begins to separate from the fudge. Add the cardamom powder, mix well and extinguish the flame.
- Add the cashews and mix well. Then grease a large dish, put the fudge on it and smooth into a thick layer.
- Garnish the entire surface with the slivered almonds and saffron strands.
- Let it cool a bit and cut it into squares while it is still hot.
- Let harden, remove from pan and store in an airtight container.