These scrumptious Corn Rolls stand apart from other run-of-the-mill starters due to the tongue-tickling Oriental-style filling of corn, onions and green chillies perked up with soya sauce.
Bread acts as the holder for this mixture, while plain flour helps seal the rolls. Drain the oil well after deep-frying these rolls and serve them immediately and crisp with your favourite sauce.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 12 rolls
12 fresh bread slices
1 cup coarsely crushed sweet corn kernels (makai ke dane)
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 tsp soy sauce
salt and freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch) to taste
3 tbsp plain flour (maida)
oil for deep-frying
schezuan sauce / tomato ketchup
For the filling
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the green chillies and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the sweet corn, soya sauce, salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the mixture becomes dry, while stirring occasionally.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely and keep aside.
How to proceed
- Combine the plain flour and approx. 5 tbsp of water in a bowl and mix very well. Keep aside.
- Remove the crust from all the bread slices.
- Roll each bread slice with the help of a rolling pin.
- Place a rolled bread slice on a clean, dry surface, spread 1 tbsp of the prepared filling at one end of the bread slice and roll it up tightly.
- Apply a little plain flour-water mixture on all the sides to seal the edges completely.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 to make 11 more rolls.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry a few rolls at a time on a medium flame, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Cut each roll diagonally into two and serve immediately with schezuan sauce or tomato ketchup.
Nutrient values per roll
|Vitamin A||36.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||1 mg|
|Folic Acid||3.7 mcg|