Corn salad recipe. It’s an easy, tasty and healthy salad recipe made with sweet corn, cucumber, onion and spices + herbs. Gluten free and vegan.
Summers are the time for light meals and salads. It’s so hot these months and in the kitchen it’s getting even hotter. I try to keep my cooking easy and uncomplicated during the summer months.
Most salads can be served as a brunch or a light meal. For some carbohydrates, you can accompany a few slices of toast. I make this salad with different combinations of spices and adding various vegetables. Carrots, beets go together very well. Even tomatoes can be added. Since I moved to a new house and still haven’t fully settled in, I have minimal veg in the kitchen. Then add cucumber and onions.
Please add your own choice of vegetables, spices and herbs when preparing this salad. Many permutations and combinations are possible in this recipe. I kept the spices minimal and this is a simple, basic salad recipe.
I used fresh sweet corn. Although even canned corn is used. But I suggest using fresh corn as the salad tastes better with fresh corn.
How to make a sweet corn salad
1. Start by steaming or boiling 2 medium corn cobs until the kernels are tender. You can steam them in an electric cooker, a pressure cooker or a steamer. I cooked them in a pressure cooker in 1.5 cups of water for 5 whistles. You can also cook them in a saucepan. Add the corn on the cob and water to a saucepan. Cover and cook until the corn kernels are tender. Add more water if necessary during cooking.
2. Allow the corn on the cob to warm up or cool down. Then carefully scrape the corn kernels with a knife.
3. Add the corn kernels to a mixing bowl.
4. Add ¼ cup finely chopped onion, ⅓ to ½ cup finely chopped cucumber and 1 tbsp chopped cilantro or ½ tbsp chopped parsley.
5. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of red chilli powder or cayenne pepper and ¼ teaspoon of roasted cumin powder.
6. Now add ½ to 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Add lemon juice according to your taste preferences. Sometimes I also add 1 to 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil. If you wish, you can also add extra virgin olive oil.
7. Mix and mix everything very well.
8. Serve the corn salad immediately. or chill it in the fridge and serve later.