Corn Sandwich Recipe – an easy, spicy and tasty sweet corn sandwich recipe for breakfast or snacks.
Sandwiches are a great party snack and can be made in bulk. Easy to prepare and assemble. To make a sandwich, use brown bread or wheat bread or multi-grain bread as they are healthier. These sandwiches are made with multi-grain bread.
The topping of this corn sandwich is Italian inspired with fresh tomatoes, garlic and basil. The garlic is sauteed in olive oil with steamed corn kernels. Then the tomatoes and fresh basil are added. So the padding should be done first. You can also prepare the stuffing overnight and store it in the refrigerator.
To make those corn sandwich
- I used fresh sweet corn. I had cooked the corn on the cob first and then added them to the stuffing. Canned corn would also work well.
- I used cheddar cheese, but you can also use cream cheese or mozzarella cheese or regular cheese or nutritional yeast. in the recipe details I mentioned when to add cheese. However, you can skip the addition of cheese altogether, if you prefer.
- The slices of bread can also be toasted separately on a pan.
- If you are making the topping overnight, add the shredded cheddar cheese to the corn mixture the next day just before toasting the corn sandwich.
These corn sandwiches are a little spicy. reduce the amount of black pepper and red pepper flakes to make them less hot and spicy. The recipe serves 2-3 people, but you can easily double the recipe.
How to make a corn sandwich
A) Preparation and boiling of corn:
1. Boil 1 medium sweet corn cob in a pressure cooker or steam it until the kernels are cooked. I cut them in half because my stove is small. For pressure cooking, cook the corn on the cob in 1.5 cups of water for 3 to 4 whistles over medium heat.
2. Let the boiled corn cool completely.
3. Then from the cob, remove the corn kernels. I usually scrape the grains with a knife.
4. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready for the preparation of the corn sandwich.
Make a corn sandwich mix
5. Heat 2 to 3 teaspoons of olive oil or butter in a pan. add 1 to 2 small to medium garlic cloves (minced or finely chopped).
6. Sauté for a few seconds until the raw aroma of garlic disappears.
7. Add the corn kernels. For 1 to 2 minutes, stir over low heat.
8. Stir well.
9. Season with ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder, ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes and salt as needed.
10. Mix very well.
11. Turn off the heat and add 2 small tomatoes (chopped) and 7 to 8 basil leaves (crumpled or chopped).
12. Stir and keep aside until mixture becomes hot or cools.
13. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of grated cheddar cheese later, after the corn filling mixture has become hot or cooled. You can also use cream cheese or mozzarella or melted cheese or you can also skip the addition of cheese completely. Adding cheese gives sandwiches a cheesy taste.
14. Mix well and keep the mixture aside.
Make a corn sandwich
15. Slice off the edges of the bread if you prefer. Distribute the butter evenly over all the slices. Make sure the butter covers all the bread. A generous coating of butter does not allow the bread to get soggy when you stuff the mixture.
16. Stuff this corn-tomato-basil filling on buttered bread.
17. Cover sandwiches with remaining buttered slices.
18. In a preheated toaster or grill, place them. Then toast or grill the corn sandwiches for 2 to 3 minutes or until the bread is toasted and golden brown. In the oven also you can grill these sandwiches.
19. Likewise, grill the rest of the sandwiches. When finished, cut them into triangles or squares.
20. Serve hot corn sandwich with tomato sauce. You can also serve fries or potato wafers with it.